iPad not charging? - How to Fix?
By : Danielle Aarons /
Is your iPad not switching on despite using different charging cables? Or perhaps you're staring at a blank screen and you don't know what to do? If the answer is yes, you may need to restart your iPad and its functions.
This can be a frustrating situation but don't panic. This is a common problem that can be easily solved. We have listed some tips below to help you get your iPad back up and running in no time.
If you tested all of our tips out and still are struggling to charge your iPad, it might be time to come in and see our team who can advise on how to fix this problem as a hardware repair may be needed.
How to restart/reboot an iPad?
There could be an endless amount of reason as to why your iPad won’t turn on or charge. The most likely indicator of this is when your iPad won’t switch on and you have tried multiple chargers. Our tips below can help restore your phone and these steps only take seconds to do!
- Has your iPad been used recently? If the answer is no, your battery may need to be replaced.
- Software glitch: Your device may need a soft reset, restore and software update to refresh!
- If you have tried all of our software tips and you are still struggling to bring your iPad to life - the internal hardware of your iPad could be the root cause. If so, our team in store can help to fix this issue for you.
Your iPad could just need a soft reset. This is a common reason why your iPad is not turning on. Simply, hold down the sleep/wake button and the home button at the same time. Then slide to power off.
Use the same process again holding down both the power and home button to power the device back on. You should see an Apple logo on the screen, then release the both buttons.
If that doesn’t solve the issue, then you might need to try hard resetting your device.To hard reset your iPad:
- Hold down both the home and the power button at the same time.
- Hold both buttons until the Apple logo appears.
- Release the buttons and wait for your device to power on.
- Enter your passcode once it has showed up.
To reset your device back to factory settings, if possible, make sure you have a backup ready.
- In restoring your device and upgrading the iOS software, make sure all data is backed up to either iCloud or iTunes. Connect your phone to iTunes, search your device then click restore. Once that is completed, restart your iPad holding down both the sleep/wake button with the home button.
- Once you are ready to reset your device to factory settings: go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.
- You will then be asked to type in your password, a pop up will appear with the option to Erase iPad. Select this option.
Once your device has been factory reset, you will then be able to fully restore your iPad using iTunes. When you plug in your device, you should then see a Restore iPad option.
Clean the charging dock
If you find you are plugging your charging cable into your iPad and it appears loose, there could be accumulated dirt and moisture inside.
This is another common issue which causes the iPad to no longer charge. Dust, grime and the small particles can easily find their way into the charging dock and luckily, this is an issue that can be quickly solved with some light cleaning.
To clean the charging dock, grab some tweezers and lightly poke this into the charging port to lift the dust inside. Use this method gently as you may damage your charging dock. You can also try using a can of compressed air- press and hold and blow this into the charging dock of your phone. This can clear out any dirt that may be causing the blockage.If the above doesn't work:
If you have tried out all of the tips above and this has not resolved the issue, your iPad may have a hardware problem that will need to be assessed by our expert technicians in store!
But, before you come and see us in-store, we would advise checking to see if your iPad still has warranty with Apple. They could be able to solve this issue for you! If you still have warranty with Apple this may be free, however, if you warranty has ended, this will cost. Check your warranty using the link below: Apple warranty checker
Come in and see our team! Take your device into one of our stores where our expert technicians can run a charging issue diagnostics test on your iPad. We would suggest running a diagnostic on your device initially to ensure the hardware issue, during our diagnostics assessment, our skilled technicians will test all components of your device to assess their functionality and determine the causes as to why your iPad is/not switching on. This is a standard fee of £20 and the process can take up to 48 hours. Our team will then quote you on the cost of repair, once this is completed.
How much is an iPhone repair at iSmash?
Here at iSmash, our expert technicians are trained to repair your device to a high quality with a quick turnaround, so you are not left long without your device!Once we have run a diagnostic on your device to find out which components need to be replaced, we will then contact you to let you know the costs and if you would like the repair to be completed! To find out more about iPad repairs, click here: iPad repairs
Related ArticlesHow to Fix an iPod that won't turn on